By Capers Jones
Going the place no ebook on software program size and metrics has formerly long past, this critique completely examines a few undesirable size practices, detrimental metrics, and enormous gaps and omissions within the software program literature that overlook very important issues in dimension. The publication covers the most important gaps and omissions that have to be crammed if information approximately software program improvement is to be priceless for comparisons or estimating destiny projects.
Among the more severe gaps are leaks in reporting approximately software program improvement efforts that, if now not corrected, can distort information and make benchmarks nearly lifeless and probably even destructive. the most universal leaks is that of unpaid time beyond regulation. software program is a truly labor-intensive career, and lots of practitioners paintings very lengthy hours. although, few businesses truly list unpaid additional time. which means software program attempt is underreported by means of round 15%, that's too huge a cost to disregard. different assets of leaks comprise the paintings of part-time experts who come and move as wanted. There are dozens of those experts, and their mixed attempt can best forty five% of overall software program attempt on huge projects.
The booklet is helping software program undertaking managers and builders discover error in measurements to allow them to boost significant benchmarks to estimate software program improvement efforts. It examines adaptations in a few components that come with:
- Programming languages
- Development methodology
- Software reuse
- Functional and nonfunctional requirements
- Industry type
- Team dimension and experience
Filled with tables and charts, this publication is a place to begin for making measurements that replicate present software program improvement practices and realities to reach at significant benchmarks to steer profitable software program tasks.
Read or Download A Guide to selecting software measures and metrics PDF
Similar project management books
With a purpose to preserve powerful degrees purchaser delight and loyalty, software program builders face enormous strain to satisfy expectancies for top quality software program items which are continually brought on time.
Introduction to software program caliber describes the methods utilized by software program engineers to construct caliber into their software program. the basic ideas of software program caliber administration and software program approach improvement are mentioned intimately, with a selected specialize in the aptitude adulthood version integration (CMMI) framework.
Topics and features:
* contains overview questions on the finish of every chapter
* Covers either thought and perform, as well as delivering suggestions on employing the speculation in an commercial environment
* Examines all facets of the software program improvement strategy, together with venture making plans and monitoring, software program lifecycles, software program inspections and trying out, configuration administration, and software program caliber assurance
* offers specified insurance of software program metrics and challenge solving
* Describes SCAMPI value determinations and the way they shape a part of the continual development cycle
* provides an advent to formal equipment and the Z specification language, that are vital within the protection severe field
* Discusses UML, that's used to explain the structure of the system
* reports the background of the sector of software program caliber, highlighting the pioneers who made key contributions to this area
This sincerely written and easy-to-follow textbook may be worthy to scholars of computing device technology who desire to the best way to construct fine quality and trustworthy software program on time and on price range. software program engineers, caliber execs and software program managers in also will locate the e-book to be a great tool for self-study.
With the advance of data expertise in recent times, there's a growing to be have to merge varied applied sciences and providers, to advance items, providers and enterprise types that span various industries. enterprises should have strategies in which they could entry proportion, and combine assorted wisdom.
This new version is a right away reaction to the ever-growing desire for higher venture administration which covers the fundamentals, but also addresses more-technical issues in a lot higher intensity than the other book. Case experiences and examples from engineering and know-how initiatives are utilized to organize technical and company scholars for administration positions in technical fields.
Prepared, set, liftoff! Align your crew to 1 goal: profitable supply. examine new insights and strategies for beginning tasks and groups the perfect approach, with improved innovations for making plans, organizing, and undertaking liftoff conferences. Real-life tales illustrate how others have successfully begun (or restarted) their groups and initiatives.
- Leading Effective Virtual Teams: Overcoming Time and Distance to Achieve Exceptional Results
- Executing Data Quality Projects: Ten Steps to Quality Data and Trusted Information (TM)
- Complexity Theory and Project Management
- The Relationship of Leadership and Innovation in Family Businesses: A Systematic Literature Review
Extra resources for A Guide to selecting software measures and metrics
Enterprise resource planning (ERP) specialists 13. Expert-system specialists 14. Function-point specialists (certified) 15. Graphics-production specialists 16. Human-factors specialists 17. Integration specialists 18. Library specialists (for project libraries) 19. Maintenance specialists 20. Marketing specialists 21. Member of the technical staff (multiple specialties) 22. Measurement specialists 23. Metric specialists 24. Project cost-analysis specialists 25. Project managers 26. Project-office specialists 27.
13. 14. 1 Development Activities for Six Project Size Plateaus 10 Function Points ◾ Activities Performed 18 A Guide to Selecting Software Measures and Metrics X X 6 9 18 5 Activities 22 23 X X X 25. Project management X X X 24. Installation/training X X X X X X X X X 100,000 Function Points 23. Quality assurance 22. Independent testing X 21. Acceptance testing X X X X X X X 10,000 Function Points 20. Beta testing X 19. System testing X X X X X 1,000 Function Points 18. Integration testing 17. Function testing X X X 100 Function Points 16.
10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 1 Development Activities for Six Project Size Plateaus 10 Function Points ◾ Activities Performed 18 A Guide to Selecting Software Measures and Metrics X X 6 9 18 5 Activities 22 23 X X X 25. Project management X X X 24. Installation/training X X X X X X X X X 100,000 Function Points 23. Quality assurance 22. Independent testing X 21. Acceptance testing X X X X X X X 10,000 Function Points 20. Beta testing X 19. System testing X X X X X 1,000 Function Points 18. Integration testing 17.